A gluten-free alternative to oats, start your day right with this nutritious and very tasty quinoa porridge! It contains a lot of goodness for a great start to the day. Use some of the suggested toppings in this recipe for an extra nutritious boost and to help get a jump on your fruit servings for the day!
- 1/2 cup (170g) raw quinoa
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 cup water
- 1 green apple, grated (leave skin on for extra fibre)
- 1/4 cup (40g) raisins
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. flax seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Place raw quinoa in a bowl or jar covered with water and let soak overnight (alternatively, you can buy ready to use quinoa in your supermarket)
- Pour quinoa into a sieve, rinse with running water and add to a medium sized saucepan
- Add in all remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15-20mins until cooked.
- Once it becomes think like porridge, transfer desired amount into a bowel.
- Suggested toppings: Dash of almond milk, blueberries, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate, and slices of orange.
- If you are time poor you can make this the night before and store in jars. In the morning just grab a jar plus a spoon and you are good to go!